Operates motor vehicles to transport residents and staff according to established schedules.
- Transports residents on various trips, tours, and shopping trips including weekend or overnight outings according to facility procedures.
- Assists passengers in entering and leaving the vehicle. Removes and replaces seats to facilitate handicap seating. Operates wheelchair lift. Physically transfers residents from wheelchairs to seat. Arranges for safety and comfort of passengers and assists in fastening safety belts.
- Prepares CHP mandated check sheet regarding maintenance and service; including checking to ensure that vehicles are in working order, checking and refilling fuel, oil, water, and coolant levels. Keeps maintenance log book current. • Immediately reports major maintenance repairs and accidents to supervisor.
- Works with Activity Director in scheduling and confirming locations for outings. Coordinates with outside agencies or groups.
- Creates a comfortable and supportive atmosphere during trips; ensuring that passengers are free from distractions and loud noises. Engages in safe driving practices at all times.
- Performs light cleaning and trash removal of vehicle interior after each trip.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Demonstrated interpersonal, verbal, and written English communication and mathematic skills. Ability to take directions and exercise good judgment regarding safety and well-being of residents. Able to read and follow maps. Basic knowledge of and ability to use tools including pliers and screwdriver. Skill in dealing with the elderly under sometimes trying conditions. Physical ability to lift and transfer residents and remove rear seats for handicapped seating. Physical skills and ability to perform work that requires continual standing, walking, stooping, bending, and lifting up to 50 pounds.
Possession of or ability to qualify for Class B driver's license. Compliance with U.S. Department of Transportation requirements, including Compulsory Drug and Alcohol Testing and registration with the Clearinghouse. Minimum of one to two years work experience in public contact or customer service field. Highly reliable driving record.