Responsible for performing a variety of physical and manual work involved in the cleaning and storage of kitchen equipment, utensils, and dishes and the maintenance of food preparation areas in a clean and sanitary manner.
- Prepares soiled dishes, silverware, and similar items for automated cleaning equipment.
- Operates automated cleaning equipment; adds cleaning solvents and agents and adjusts setting as required.
- Hand washes items as required, including pots and pans.
- Maintains sanitary conditions throughout the kitchen and work areas according to Title 22 and OBRA regulations.
- Disposes of trash and rubbish; cleans own work area and any other portions of kitchen per cleaning schedule. Adheres to daily and weekly schedules for cleaning or pest control.
- Stores and cleans china, glasses, and other dinnerware and equipment.
- Follows sanitation procedures and performs periodic cleaning of china, utensils, and other items per schedule.
- May perform miscellaneous food service work such as delivering food carts and trays, serving of food, assisting prep cooks, and similar tasks.
- Performs related work as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Verbal and written communication skills sufficient to follow instructions in English. Good working knowledge of kitchen procedures and work assignments. Ability to comprehend and follow safety instructions in the use of chemicals, solvents, kitchen equipment, utensils, and proper lifting techniques. Physical skills and ability to perform work that requires continual standing, walking, stooping, bending, and lifting up to 40 pounds.
Previous experience in the kitchen of a commercial or institutional food service operation desirable.