Plans, organizes, directs, and supervises Maintenance staff and all preventive and corrective maintenance programs for the community in accordance with established standards, procedures and regulatory compliance.
- Supervises and trains the maintenance staff in the performance of preventive and corrective maintenance of the community.
- Assists the Director of Environmental Services with the coordination of apartment renovations, remodeling and maintenance schedules, including scheduling projects and personnel with staff, residents, department managers and outside contractors.
- Solicits, evaluates, and selects bids, directs and inspects work of contracted service providers under the direction of the Director of Environmental Services.
- Supervises personnel, service contracts and various maintenance projects to ensure quality and timeliness of work. Acts as a working supervisor, performing maintenance tasks as needed.
- Provides supervision of Ground Supervisor and staff.
- Maintains and monitors inventory status necessary for the completion of maintenance projects.
- Maintains computerized preventive maintenance program. Records routine maintenance activities through the use of log books and/or computerized maintenance program.
- Evaluates and maintains equipment and materials to assure continued safe, efficient operation.
- Assists in developing, costing, and adherence to capital and operating budgets.
- Reviews requests for work, directs work of assigned personnel, and inspects completed assignments to assure performance, quality and timely completion.
- Ensures the proper maintenance of community communication system.
- Interviews, hires, supervises, trains, motivates, and performance management of assigned staff.
- Assists in fire and safety program of the community, compliance with all Federal, State and local codes and titles in conjunction with Director of Environmental Services and NCPHS Director of Engineering.
- Recognizes and reports concerns regarding residents' physical, mental and/or emotional status to supervisor.
- Carries Smartphone and works on-call as necessary.
- Ensure compliance is maintained with NFPA 99, Federal OBRA regulations, Cal OSHA, Cal-OSPOD, Title 22 and other regulatory requirements.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Thorough working knowledge of electrical, carpentry, plumbing and related trade fields. Knowledge of skilled trades and general understanding of building codes. Well rounded knowledge of practices, tools, equipment, methods and materials used in maintenance. Knowledge and understanding of and ability to comply with work safety practices and guidelines relating to asbestos and industrial chemicals. Knowledge of Material Safety Data Sheets. Knowledge of computerized maintenance tracking system.
Demonstrated interpersonal, verbal, and written English communication skills. Supervisory and managerial skills to plan and assign work, motivate employees and provide work leadership. Organizational and analytical skills to plan and complete work assignments with minimal supervision and within established deadlines. Sound judgment skills to assess needs and determine appropriate course of action in emergency situations. Skills to safely handle all workshop and maintenance equipment, including power and hand tools and both freestanding and extension ladders.
Ability to understand and read technical manuals, staff, and schematics. Ability to act with patience, tact and courtesy in dealing with residents, staff and contractors under demanding and difficult conditions. Sensitivity and understanding of issues related to aging.
Proficient with Microsoft Office suite of products (Word, Excel, Outlook, MS Project) and the ability to quickly learn inventory control, preventative maintenance and human resources information system software programs and the use of a Smartphone.
Physical skills and ability to perform work that requires continual standing, walking, stooping, bending and lifting up to 75 pounds.
High school graduate or equivalent. Some college education or trade school with emphasis in trades, covering maintenance procedures and practices. Bachelors Degree in Engineering/Management field preferred. Four years’ experience in a Maintenance Department of a health care, residential building or similar community. Minimum of three years supervisory experience. Bi-lingual in English/Spanish preferred.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: Supervisory responsibility for up to 10 employees.