Why is diversity important in senior living? Fostering diversity promotes equality, reduces biases, and cultivates a sense of belonging among residents, their families, and staff. Moreover, it encourages and honors the unique qualities that make each person different.
Inclusive and diverse communities enhance the lives of people working and living in retirement homes. Embracing diversity is not a trend. It is a win-win for all.
More Than a Feel-Good Initiative
Recently, organizations have begun the dialogue around diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging (DEIB) among senior living communities, including Sequoia Living. Studies find organizations with DEIB initiatives perform better, are more innovative, and manage risk more effectively. This helps to provide the best outcomes for the residents and staff in senior living communities.
Beyond being a feel-good policy, promoting diversity and inclusion have real economic and business value.
Diversity and inclusiveness in senior living communities create a more welcoming and supportive environment for residents and staff of all backgrounds, helping to improve well-being and quality of life.
Why Diversity is Important:
- Promotes understanding and awareness
- Encourages inclusivity and a sense of belonging
- Attracts and retains top talent
- Makes business sense
Prioritizing diversity and inclusion in policies and culture are important drivers of employee, team, community, and business success. Bridging the DEIB gap takes great effort, according to surveyed candidates by a human resources tech. provider, “the top three areas of concern for employees were diversity in thought (55%), race/ethnicity (44%), and gender (33%).”
We Are Stronger Together
At Sequoia Living, we believe we’re stronger together. We welcome people of different backgrounds and value their contributions. They are family, friends, and part of our communities; they make us better.
How Sequoia Living communities honor different backgrounds and cultures:
- Organizing educational events: Our communities host lectures, discussion groups, and workshops.
- Highlighting historical figures: We recognize influential individuals and their contributions to society.
- Celebrating cultural traditions: Our team members organize events that showcase traditional music, dance, and cuisine.
- Encouraging residents to share their stories: We create space for residents to share their experiences and perspectives on diversity and inclusion.
- Partnering with local organizations: Our nonprofit works with local organizations to celebrate diversity and inclusion through events and educational programs.
At Sequoia Living, we’re proud to prioritize diversity while fostering an environment that honors individuals of different backgrounds to promote belonging and inclusivity.
Be part of something meaningful. Join our team and make a difference in the lives of seniors. View open positions and apply today.
Elevate your retirement living with community, connection, and belonging. Never Stop Growing at Sequoia Living. Learn more about our Life Plan Communities.