BECOME A VOLUNTEER
Experience Corps Bay Area is a community-based volunteer program that empowers people over 50 to serve as tutors to help students become better readers by the end of third grade. It is a proven “triple win,” helping students succeed, older adults thrive, and communities grow stronger.
• Build meaningful and lasting relationships with young children.
• Impart wisdom and experience to students.
• Develop skills in teaching and mentoring.
• Receive training, resources, and professional support from our team of dedicated staff.
• Meet new people through schools and community events.
• It’s rewarding, needed, and fun!
STEPS FOR ONBOARDING PROCESS
• Fill out the Volunteer Application
• Attend the Pre-service Orientation
• Interview with us
• Then we’ll do a background check (Live Scan Form is used for fingerprinting. Previous background checks cannot be transferred over.)
• TB Test (in-person volunteers)
• Introduction to Site Coordinators
Experience Corps Bay Area is a school year commitment. We ask that tutors commit to the end of the school year once they join. We strive to develop strong relationships in which students and volunteers can meaningfully grow together.
- All volunteers must be 50+.
- Volunteers will work twice a week with students.
- Tutor virtually using Zoom or in-person at one of our 16 schools.
- No experience or previous education necessary, we provide all the training.
- Onboarding process is mandatory for all volunteers, and includes an application, orientation, interview, background check, and TB test (in-person only).
The ideal Experience Corps volunteer shares our commitment to seeing students build confidence and thrive. They’re patient, flexible, culturally sensitive, and dedicated to our community. The ideal volunteer is Interested in tutoring young children and building a relationship with their students.
THE SCHOOLS WE SERVE
If you are with a school in the Bay Area and want to find out how to bring Experience Corps to your students, please contact Sandi Strang at SStrang@sequoialiving.org or call (415) 464-1767.